history since 1399
design hotel with a historic past
salzburg's design hotel stein looks back over a long history. today, the building presents itself as a masterfully revitalised 4-star hotel. the location is unequalled: located directly on the salzach, with a breathtaking view of salzburg's old town centre.
how did it get the name "stein"?
one looks in vain for a tenant by the name of "stein" in the hotel's history; it has much more to do with the medieval description of this part of the city, which was founded at the end of the 13th century along with the building of the city wall. the "steintor" ("stone gate") erected around 1280 is directly next to the hotel which still to this day separates "inner stein" from "outer stein". the narrow gorge-like "steingasse" runs along the cliffs of the "kapuzinerberg" and already served as an arterial road to the south for the romans. the location of the buildings "auf dem stein" (literally: "on the stone") has always been first class. standing on a step of the "kapuzinerberg", the structures here were always protected from the flooding of the salzach.
the "stein" as a hotel and tavern
the "stein" was already known as a tavern in medieval times: in 1399 archbishop george approved the serving of food and drink for "waggoners coming across the way". a source from 1528 regards the "steinsitz" as a cosy ale house. in fact, the "stein" was already a well-known brew house in the 16th century. a family named gapler operated it. two memorial tablets still exist of the master brewer "franz dietrich popp" which suggest a considerable period of construction starting in 1764. popp's descendants ran the "steinbräu" until 1870 after which it was run as "hotel griesberger". alois grasmayr acquired the building in the last days of world war one, added levels to it in 1924, constructed the terrace coffee house and the business has been henceforth called "hotel stein". from 1945 to 1950 the building was occupied by american troops before coming back into the hands of the grasmayrs in 1951.
the "stein" in the 21st century
in november 2001 the salzburg businessman haythem al wazzan purchased the hotel and began total restoration work. in autumn 2003 the steinterrace opened its gates once again. whereas the terrace was previously only suitable for operations in the summer and during pleasant weather, guests can now enjoy salzburg's most beautiful panorama of the old town centre 365 days a year. a further project concluded is the renovation of the 56 rooms which have been given a stylish and luxurious appearance thanks to designer furnishings. the old windows were replaced by sound proof windows and both of the lifts as well as the roof and the facade were renovated. all construction projects have the aim of creating a modern 4-star hotel operation without neglecting tradition while preserving the historic building at the same time. much to the satisfaction of our regular guests, the nostalgic breakfast room - now one of our seminar-rooms - was left in the style of the turn of the century.